[cpia] USB anyone?

Jochen Scharrlach Jochen.Scharrlach@schwaben.de
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 13:03:17 +0100 (CET)

Peter Pregler writes:
 > Actually the API of the modules cpia/cpia_pp was designed in a way to allow the
 > addition of the usb stuff. The irq-stuff should not be any problem at all.

As I said, I didn't took a very close look at it, but it seems that
the USB-API uses it's own model of buffering (so the IRQ-handler has
to copy the stuff around), while the PP-code (AFAIR) seems to use the
IRQ handler only to trigger the rest of the code. Maybe I
misinterpreted it and everything is handled within cpia_pp.c.

Another problem is hot-plug: the current cpia.c recognizes only
cameras that are plugged while the driver is loaded. But the USB-cpias
can be plugged and unlugged any time (which is quite useful if the
driver crashes), so the strategy with the two arrays in cpia.c and
cpia_pp.c to recognize the correct camera won't work. The only elegant
way would be to hide the lowlevel-stuff somewhere in video_device,
which makes it necessary to change cpia.c.

 > I do know of nobody who is working on a PPC/USB merge. I won't do it since
 > I have no USB-camera at hand. Scott is working on a port for 2.3.X. I think you

He was even faster than you :)

Bye,
Jochen

--