[cpia] USB anyone?

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 11:18:18 +0100 (CET)

On 15-Jan-00 Jochen Scharrlach wrote:

> I took a look at the PPC2-driver and at the first glance it didn't
> seem to be very difficult to merge the kernel usb/cpia.c to the dummy
> cpia_usb.c - well actually it isn't that easy, because the IRQ is
> handled differently and the PPC2-driver doesn't support hot-plug. I'd
> take a closer look at it if really noone else works on the driver.

Actually the API of the modules cpia/cpia_pp was designed in a way to allow the
addition of the usb stuff. The irq-stuff should not be any problem at all.
Right now the cpia-module implements a synchronous read model from the camera.
As far as I can judge this must be independant of what you do with
interrupts/dma or whatsoever in the low-level cpia_pp/cpia_usb modul. If irqs
are a problem the API is broken. What is a problem is hot-plug. The API was
desinged based on features available for PPC-cameras. If need be just try to
extend the API.

I do know of nobody who is working on a PPC/USB merge. I won't do it since
I have no USB-camera at hand. Scott is working on a port for 2.3.X. I think you
should base your work on his code. The cpia.c needs some changes in order to
work with 2.3.x. As for me I will clean up the control-client and see if
implementing some sort of asynchronous streaming read (in a kernel thread)
gives any significant performance gain.

-Peter

Even the thought that a ship was waiting to take him back to Earth
did not wipe out the sense of loss he felt at that moment.
Email: Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Peter Pregler / RISC, University of Linz, Austria