[cpia] 3Com Homeconnect USB support...

ANOQ of the Sun anoq@HardcoreProcessing.com
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 14:37:09 +0200

Hello!

I've got a 3Com Homeconnect USB webcam. I tried
building kernel 2.3.99pre9 and to patch it with
CPiA 1.1. There was a lot of things during the
kernel installation I had to do manually
(and I don't even think that it's all 100%
correct yet). But is the 3Com Homeconnect USB
webcam supported in the first place?

I have just mailed 3Com asking for hardware
specs and/or Linux drivers. And I'm actually
considering to develop this driver if it
can be done within a few hours :)

But is anybody else working on this?

Just for the record, here is what I did
for installing the kernel and all:

Configure kernel 2.3.99pre9
Enable:
USB
USB audio
Video For Linux
CPiA driver
CPiA lowlevel USB

And I patched with the CPiA 1.1
source. I think it was:

make unkernel-2.3
make kernel-2.3

Making the kernel:

make dep
make bzImage
(and make bzdisk, since I boot from floppy)
make modules
make modules_install

Make the /dev/video0 and /dev/video devices:
mknod /dev/video0 c 81 0
ln -s /dev/video0 /dev/video

Add the following to /etc/conf.modules:
path[usb]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
path[usb]=/lib/modules/`kernelversion`
path[usb]=/lib/modules

Now I manually have to execute:
insmod videodev
(insmod usbcore complains:
  no module by that name found
  even though it's there)
insmod cpia
(insmod cpia_usb says:
   a module named cpia_usb already exists)

After running
insmod cpia

I see /proc/cpia, but no /proc/cpia/video0
cpia-control won't run because of this.

dmesg says:
V4L-Driver for Vision CPiA based cameras v1.1.0
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb.c: registered new driver cpia

Cheers
--