[cpia] Creative WebCam II USB with 2.3.5

Jacob Nikom nikom@merl.com
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:59:33 -0400

Which USB options you have to turn on (say "Y"):
(Also look at
http://linuxusbguide.sourceforge.net/USB-guide-1.0.6/c122.html)

# version 2.3.99-pre5
# USB support
#
#
# USB support
#
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI=y
# CONFIG_USB_OHCI is not set
# CONFIG_USB_PRINTER is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SCANNER is not set
# CONFIG_USB_AUDIO is not set
# CONFIG_USB_ACM is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_USB_IBMCAM is not set
# CONFIG_USB_OV511 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_DC2XX is not set
# CONFIG_USB_MDC800 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_STORAGE is not set
# CONFIG_USB_USS720 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_DABUSB is not set
# CONFIG_USB_PLUSB is not set
# CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS is not set
# CONFIG_USB_RIO500 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_DSBR is not set
# CONFIG_USB_HID is not set
# CONFIG_USB_KBD is not set
# CONFIG_USB_MOUSE is not set
# CONFIG_USB_WACOM is not set
# CONFIG_USB_WMFORCE is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOYDEV is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV is not set

CONFIG_VIDEO_BWQCAM=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_CQCAM=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_CPIA=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_CPIA_PP=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_CPIA_USB=y

You need to configure USB into your kernel. Use of make menuconfig is
recommended.

Under USB Support, you need to select Support for USB.
You also need to select either UHCI (Intel PIIX4, VIA, ...) support,
UHCI Alternate Driver (JE) support or OHCI-HCD (Compaq, iMacs, OPTi,
SiS, ALi, ...) support.

Which one you select is dependent on what kind of motherboard or adapter
you have. Intel and Via motherboards, and Via-based adapters are UHCI,
and you can use either of the two UHCI drivers - there seems to be
little
user visible difference between them. Ali and SiS chipsets, Compaq and
NEC
motherboards, iMacs and any adapter using Opti chips (just about all of
them) are OHCI, and you should use OHCI-HCD.

If you do not know what kind of controller to choose, check your
motherboard documentation. You can also look at /proc/pci for a hint -
if the USB entry is of the form 0xHHHH, where HHHH are hex digits (e.g.
something like I/O at 0xe400), then it is UHCI. If it is of the form 32
bit memory at 0xHH000000, where HH are hex digits (e.g. something like
32 bit memory at 0xee000000), then it is OHCI. Failing that, just try
one.

Always build in the Preliminary USB device filesystem. Leaving this out
will make resolving problems almost impossible, and is essential if you
need to check that your kernel is configured correctly, and your USB
devices are being recognised correctly.

You also need to select whichever devices you want to use, for example:
USB Human Interface Device (HID) support (with the appropriate
subordinate
options) for a USB keyboard, mouse, joystick, tablet or gamepad,
USB Scanner support for certain scanners,
USB Audio support for USB speakers,
USB Modem (CDC ACM) support for a POTS or ISDN modem,
USB Printer support for a USB printer,
USB Serial Converter support (with the appropriate
    subordinate options) for some serial port type devices,
USB CPiA Camera support for cameras based on the Vision CPiA chipset,
USB IBM (Xirlink) C-it Camera support for camera based on the
    IBM camera chipset,
USB OV511 Camera support for cameras based on OmniVision's OV511
chipset,
USB Kodak DC-2xx Camera support for downloading images from Kodak's
    DC-200 series cameras,
USB Mass Storage support for mass storage devices,
USS720 parport driver for certain parallel port adapters,
DABUSB driver for an experimental Digital Audio Broadcast receiver
PLUSB Prolific USB-Network driver for certain USB to USB type
connections

You should be able to use modules, kernel only, or split modules and
kernel code.

How to set up WebCamII and run gqcam-0.4 application:
(We assume that the kernel is configured for USB already
for running WebCamII. How to do it look at the file
congifure_usb)

1. Go to the URL and download the code
http://webcam.sourceforge.net/

2. Unzip it and untar it
gzip -cd cpia-0.7.4.tgz | tar xvf -

3. Read README in the cpia-0.7.4 directory
   In is important for the correct kernel
   configuration settings

4. Read INSTALL in the cpia-0.7.4/client directory

5. Run the command
./configure

6. Run the command
make

7. Go to the admin mode and run the command
mount -t shm none /var/shm

8. Change your /etc/fstab file by adding line:
none   /proc/bus/usb     usbdevfs    defaults        0 0

9. Go to the directory:
//usr/src/linux/drivers/usb

Open file usb-core.c and add line:
int usb_cpia_init(void);