[cpia] CPiA 0.7.2 & Zoomtel camera: Colour balance strangene

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Fri, 03 Mar 2000 09:10:23 +0100 (CET)

On 29-Feb-2000 Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 29, 2000, rich@annexia.org <rich@annexia.org> wrote:
>>
>> Oh, and these problems only really occur in low light conditions
>> (with a 60W bulb). In very bright daylight the results are much
>> better. Being a hacker I'm obviously mainly interested in the low
>> light situation :-)
>
> FWIW, I've seen this as well. It sometimes is yellowish, or purplish (I
> think). Mostly yellow.

I have done short tests with the M$-driver and the 0.7.2 driver (parport,
kernerl-2.2.14) under low-light conditions. Under M$ the behavior is
pretty strange. In the beginning the picture is very dark and very
reddish. After a few seconds it does a snap and from one frame to the next
it is much brighter. Apparently some correction is triggered. After that
it settles down close to the same as the linux result. But the end-result
is still way too redish (see my web-page, url in the signature). So my
wild guess is that this is a more fundamental problem with the
color-correction firmware of the CPiA. Can you post your version
information? I have also seen people posting CPiA-versions
1.30. Mine is:

  CPiA Version: 1.20 (2.0)
  CPiA PnP-ID: 0553:0002:0100
  VP-Version: 1.0 0100

The developers guide does only cover 1.20. So maybe we should ask for an
updated document?

-Peter

Email: Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
WWW:   http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/people/ppregler