[cpia] usb webcam

Peter Pregler Peter_Pregler@email.com
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 11:31:11 +0200

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 12:40:47AM -0300, Matias Freytes wrote:
> 	My name is Matias and I´m working on video conferencing (QCIF and
> CIF sizes) applications at the Laboratorio de Comunicaciones Digitales,
> Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Argentina. So far, I´ve been working with
> bttv848 frame grabbers (using V4L2, www.thedirks.org) with very nice
> results, but I need to put a camera to a laptop. My guess is USB should be
> the best choice and I´ve read about your CPiA driver. Questions are:
>
> 	*. Is Creative´s Webcam II a good option?

I think from the basic electrical specifications all the cpia-based
cameras are the same since almost all the electronics is already on
the cpia-chip. What is different is the optics. I have a Creative WC
II (parport) and a USB SpaceC@m lite. IMHO the picture quality of the
WCII is better. I do not know about the quality of other cameras.

> 	*. Is your driver a V4L2 driver or a V4L driver?

It is v4l only.

> 	*. Are there any V4L2 ports of the driver? I got used to V4L2.

Feel free to write the v4l2 api. It is definitly not very complicated
since you can use the v4l-stuff. And it should not be _that_ much
work. ;) Personally I did not write it because I have no need for it and
it is IMHO pretty boring to write another slightly different api. Also
the future of v4l(2) is not clear to me.

-Peter

--
I will not waste chalk. --Bart Simpson at the blackboard
Email: Peter_Pregler@email.com