[cpia] Driver stability

Johannes Erdfelt johannes@erdfelt.com
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 22:21:35 -0500

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001, Chris Jones <chris@black-sun.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, but I'm having a nightmare
> trying to get a working/stable cpia.
> I'm using a Creative WebCam II USB and have tested on the two boxen I
> have here, one is a dual Celeron system (ABit BP6 board, hence Intel USB
> controller) running 2.4.0 and the other is a single Celeron system (some
> FIC motherboard, but also Intel USB controller) running 2.2.18.
> On the 2.4 box I can get the cam working, but I can usually guarantee
> that it will hang the box sooner or later. I'm not sure if it makes any
> difference, but I'm using camE (http://www.linuxbrit.co.uk/camE/) to
> take/upload pictures.
> On the 2.2 box I can't even get the driver to produce a picture. I can't
> grab the exact error message right now because I had to ravage the box
> for some hardware bits. I'll try and get it up again tomorrow and report
> the error.
>
> Should the drivers be working/stable for USB cams?

Under 2.2, yes. I use it quite a lot and there is some bug with
opening/closing the camera whch I've seen crash the machine, but once
it's running, I've had it work for weeks. I haven't had the time to
track down the opening/closing bug.

Undr 2.4 it was stable at one point atleast. I haven't tried it
recently, so I don't know if it still is, but I don't know of any
reasons it shouldn't be.

What exact kernels are you using? Which UHCI driver are you using?

Does running with noapic on the 2.2 system fix the problem? Do you have
a setting for MPS? Is it set to 1.1 and not 1.4 (under 2.2 atleast, 2.4
works with MPS 1.4)

JE