[cpia] cpia webcam 30fps??

Justin Cormack jpc1@doc.ic.ac.uk
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:56:16 +0000 (GMT)

> Hi.
>
> Justin Cormack wrote:
>
>  >> i want to run video conferencing over ipv6 on linux's platform, i
>  >> almost crazy to find out which brand of the webcam can run video
>  >> conferencing until 30 frames/second. anyone know which brand of
>  >> the webcam use the cpia driver and the performance quite good (30
>  >> fps)?? my system is :
>
> How about the VC V.Net Network cameras? The new C30U is able of
> capturing 30fps as MPEG1-Stream. I'm currently working on a library that
> gives access to the V.Net cam functions. But you should be aware that
> these cams are not as cheap as webcams ;)
>
> If there is interest, I can establish a contact between any person and
> JVC Professional.

These look quite nice actually, I might be interested (pan and tilt is very
useful for some apps). How much are they?

The other network camera that you could use is the axis one (www.axis.se).
They are about $250, so quite cost effective.

Neither would support ipv6 natively, though as the axis ones run Linux,
you could in principle upgrade it (it would be quite hard as it runs 2.0
kernel, so you would have to upgrade and might run into space problems, or
have to backport ipv6 to 2.0). Either way you could bridge ipv4 to ipv6.

There are some other fun solutions if you have plenty of bandwidth, eg
buy a dv or mpeg camera with firewire and tunnel the firewire stream over
the network. As someone is writing a dv1394 driver that you can just cat
into and out of to a camera, you should just be able to run a videoconference
with netcat in a single line of shell code...

Justin