[cpia] TerraCam USB not working

Jari Eskelinen jjeskeli@cs.uku.fi
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 01:13:47 +0200

Hi!

I just bought Terratec's TerraCam USB and tried to get it work with
Linux, but without success. In Windows cam works without problems, but
I bought TerraCam only because it was only cam available with possible
Linux-support. I have Debian GNU/Linux with kernel 2.4.14. I compiled
USB-support as modules (usbcore, usb-uchi) as well as cpia-drivers and
v4l (cpia, cpia_usb, videodev). USB-drivers are loaded without
problems. Cpia drivers are loaded, but no camera are found. No files
appers in /proc/cpia and /dev/video* won't work. This is very
confusing, because thee are no error messages to begin with, so I'm
unable to solve this problem. Can anybody tell any ideas to this
problem? I'd be grateful.

I noticed that cpia-version in kernel is only 0.7.4, and newest package
is 1.2.0. So I grabbed latest sources and tried to compile. No success,
first error-message was this: cpia.c:4079: too few arguments to
function `video_register_device'. I grepped kernel-sources and it seems
to be that video_register_device needs one more function, which seemed
to be -1 in every video-driver :O So I added it. Then there was errors
about struct called video_device cpia_template. Struct format seemed to
have changed and I modified struct like some guy had done in one
message found in cpia-archives (added NULL to beginning and -1 to end).
No success still.

root@cannon:~# modprobe usb-uhci
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.268 $ time 20:02:38 Nov 19 2001
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:07.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:07.3
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:08.0
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd400, IRQ 11
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:07.3
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:07.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:08.0
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd800, IRQ 11
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x5a9/0xa511) is not claimed by any
active driver.
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: v1.268:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver

root@cannon:~# modprobe cpia_usb
Linux video capture interface: v1.00
V4L-Driver for Vision CPiA based cameras v0.7.4
usb.c: registered new driver cpia

root@cannon:~# cat /dev/video /proc/cpia/*
cat: /dev/video: No such device
cat: /proc/cpia/*: No such file or directory

Even led won't light up in TerraCam. So thanks in advance if somebody
can help.

--
Jari Eskelinen * http://jarpatus.cjb.net/ * jjeskeli@cs.uku.fi