[cpia] Parallel Port Creative Labs Webcam 2 problems

Peter Pregler Peter_Pregler@email.com
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 21:18:34 +0200

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 03:04:39PM -0500, Walter Johnson wrote:

> I have compiled Linux 2.4.2 /w V4L and parallel port support and have
> the webcam working with vic. The only problem seems to be my frame rate
> stuck at 5fps without movement and 1-2 fps with movement. I belive the
> problem lies with dma transfers. I there a way to get this to work the
> 2.4.2 kernel. It worked under the 2.2.x kernel?

Your guess is correct. The last time I looked at the 2.4-stuff the
dma-read was not implemented and I never found the time and interest to
do so. The parport-API changed substantially between 2.2 and 2.4.
Basically you have to move the dma-code I have written from the
cpia-driver to the generic ieee1284-parport routines. Also AFAIR the
2.4-parport driver does not utilize FIFO-read but reads character-wise.

> Any suggestions would be useful.

Since I do not have any parport-camera available anymore the answer is
simple: implement it. ;) Feel free to contact me if you need more
details about what to do. Also just implementing FIFO-read will be
sufficient if you have enough cpu-cycles to burn and should be much
easier than dma.

-Peter

--
Feeling amorous, she looked under the sheets and cried, "Oh, no,
it's Microsoft!"