[cpia] Webcam 3 pp version not being detected

Nick Holloway Nick.Holloway@pyrites.org.uk
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 11:06:07 +0000

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 05:31:39PM -0500, Jeff Gardiner wrote:
> Can anyone tell me who is right?  If anyone is supporting the Parallel Port
> version of the Creative Labs WebCam III (CT6920) who is it?

There appears to be some confusion about what chipset is being used
by the WebCam III.  My original understanding from the cpia side (as I
have a WebCam II which is cpia) was that the WebCam III did not use the
cpia chipset.  The OV511 documentation says that _some_ parallel WebCam
III cameras do use it.

The first step is to try and determine what chipset is being used on
your camera.  Here is a message I sent recently:

    When I boot a 2.4.18 kernel with the WebCam II plugged in, I get the
    following (taken from dmesg):

	parport0: PC-style at 0x3bc [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
	parport0: Multimedia device, VLSI Vision Ltd PPC2 Camera

    If I cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/autoprobe, then I get:

	CLASS:MEDIA;
	MODEL:PPC2 Camera;
	MANUFACTURER:VLSI Vision Ltd;
	COMMAND SET:CPIA_1-20;

    The cpia_pp driver only registers cameras where the device is class media,
    and the command set starts with "CPIA_1".

    What do you get from your bootup messages and /proc information when
    you boot with your camera plugged in?

So, what gets detected by the kernel parport driver when you boot with the
camera plugged in and powered on (make sure you have CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y
in your kernel config)?  This should allow you to know that the camera
is detected as a parallel device, and give some clue as to what is needed
to drive it.

There is certainly one feature of the WebCam III, that isn't supported
by the cpia driver (and not mentioned in the documentation we have
available), and that is a 640x480 mode.

--
 `O O'  | Nick.Holloway@pyrites.org.uk
// ^ \\ | http://www.pyrites.org.uk/