[cpia] Webcam 3 pp version not being detected

Jeff Gardiner j.gardiner@rogers.com
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 17:31:39 -0500

On October 31, 2002 07:44 am, Nick Holloway wrote:
> mip_fyp@yahoo.com (Affan Ahmed) writes:
> >  I am unable to get my Webcam 3 to be detected. I have RH 7.2, with
> > kernel 2.4.7-10. This already contained the cpia driver [...]
>
> This camera is not a CPiA device, so will not work with this driver.

Here's the problem (and I've been experiencing it too!).
You guys say the CPiA driver does not support the parallel port Creative Labs
WebCams III CT6920 (as does the site you quoted):

> The SourceForge page <url:http://webcam.sourceforge.net/#cams> has
> pointers to some information for the WebCam III.

And yet, if you follow the link advised for WebCams III you arrive at:
http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/.  Following the FAQ you see that ...

Q: I have a parallel port camera. Does your driver support it?
A: The OV511 chip supports the USB bus only. The CPiA chip is used in many
parallel cameras, notably some revisions of the Creative Labs WebCam3
Parallel, and in some USB cameras. You can find drivers for the CPiA here .
Surprisingly, the USB version of the WebCam3 uses the OV511, not the CPiA,
probably since the OV511 supports higher resolutions and is therefore
(arguably) a better chip.

... and the link leads to
 http://sourceforge.net/projects/webcam/

Cripes, the CPiA people are saying the OV518 driver supports the parallel port
version of the Creative WebCam III while the OV518 people are saying the CPiA
driver  does.

Can anyone tell me who is right?  If anyone is supporting the Parallel Port
version of the Creative Labs WebCam III (CT6920) who is it?

       ~~~~~~~
  Jeff Gardiner
  http://www.baldric.uwo
  Student SuperComputer Initiative