[cpia] CPiA driver news: cpia-control-0.4 released

f.duncan.m.haldane@att.net f.duncan.m.haldane@att.net
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 00:46:40 +0000

> f.duncan.m.haldane@worldnet.att.net (Duncan Haldane) writes:
>>
> Is anyone looking at getting cpia updated for 2.5.x?

Alan Cox accepted the first set of updates from CVS (QX3 support,
reactivate camera control by writing to /proc/cpia ) into
2.5.42-ac1.  I got things to compile without error, but I havent got usb
working if I boot into 2.5.4x, so I havent been able to test the cpia driver.
The updates I am planning to send (yuv420 flicker control etc) are
not sensitive to v4l2 updates, so they should be OK, but obviously the driver needs to get tested.

> I had a go at getting cpia to compile under 2.5 with the various API
> changes.  I reckon that I've battled about 80% of the way, basing my
> changes on the way that other drivers have been updated.  I'd like to
> try and complete this, maybe waiting to see if v4l2 does land before
> Halloween.
>
> My main feeling from the work so far, is that the extent of the changes
> mean that it is not feasible to augment the current source with more of
> '#if (LINUX_VERSION_CODE...'.  For example, my current code has this
> for cpia_mmap:
>
>     #if (LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2,5,0))
>     static int cpia_mmap(struct file *file, struct vm_area_struct* vma )
>     {
> 	    unsigned long start = vma->vm_start;
> 	    unsigned long size  = vma->vm_end - vma->vm_start;
> 	    struct video_device *dev = video_devdata(file);
>     #else
>     static int cpia_mmap(struct video_device *dev, const char *adr,
> 			 unsigned long size)
>     {
> 	    unsigned long start = (unsigned long)adr;
>     #endif
>
> The area around the memory handling is worse, and I think this is just
> too difficult to maintain.
>
> What do people[1] think of the idea of producing a set of cpia*.[ch] for
> the 2.5 kernel, free from the baggage of earlier kernel support?

Probably a good idea...
Shall I put the source from 2.5.42-ac1 as a new tree at sourcefource, and update it from the old source?
That way I make the patches, and then it is a basis for v4l2 improvements?

Duncan