[cpia] a new CVS branch for a .v4l2 driver for 2.5.x kernel

Duncan Haldane f.duncan.m.haldane@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 22:29:47 -0400 (EDT)

Great!

I noticed Nick had committed.   Its good to know the 2.5 cpia code is now
working with parport webcams. I haven't yet managed to get USB working under
2.5.x (the modules load but neither cpia nor other usb devices are getting
activated - its nothing specific to the cpia driver ...)

This was with 2.5.43 and 2.5.44-ac1.   I'll try again with 2.5.44-ac2 which now
has the full cpia update I sent to Alan Cox.   (I sent it before the fixes Nick
committed, so I'll send another update hopefully after I get usb working,
but if I can't, I won't delay the patch).

I suppose this means that Linus will take the patch from Alan, and we are in
before the 2.5.x feature freeze.....

So Peter Pregler's and Scott Bertin's work will live on for posterity in future
kernels....

One thing that didn't make it from 2.2 into 2.4 was DMA support for the
parport. (#ifdef CONFIG_VIDEO_CPIA_PP_DMA  code).
This was stripped from cpia_pp.c in the official kernel sources, but is there
in the sourceforge cpia/module code (but not in the 2.5 code in module-v4l2)

This needed some extra support to be patched into the 2.2 kernel, and
some people on this list have mentioned working on it for 2.4
in  the past.
Does the 2.5 kernel contain some generic DMA access feature that cpia_pp.c could
use?  Does DMA make a noticeable improvement for parport cameras?

Duncan