Xirlink C-It?

Jarl Totland Jarl.Totland@bdc.no
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:02:06 +0200

At 1999-04-27 17:17 -0400, Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
>I picked up a Xirlink C-It Video camera recently and according to Vision's
>pages at http://www.vvl.co.uk/products/oems/videoconferencing.htm,
>it's an OEM of the CPiA chipset.

According to http://www.c-itnow.com/cameras.htm there seems to be
two different shaped USB cameras available from Xirlink, with identical
specs. None of them looks like the current ellipsoid-shaped camera
from Vision. The specs are near enough though, apart from the talk
about built-in "Xirlink ViCE Video Compression Engine", which might
be just a marketing gimmick.

>However, the Vendor ID and the Product ID of the USB device are
>completely different than what is listed in the pdf's for the chipset.
>My camera reports:
>
>Apr 25 13:12:54 bjorn kernel:   Vendor:  0545
>Apr 25 13:12:54 bjorn kernel:   Product: 8080

Hm. According to http://www.usb.org/forums/retail/messages/3618.html,
Xirlink seems to be making their own cameras, i.e they have a hires and
a lores camera, both using the same set of IDs. Xirlink's Vendor ID is
1349 = 0x0545.

Using another Vendor ID means they've had to mess with the hardware,
right? Maybe they're using Vision's CPiA set but have added another
hardware level with compression etc.

>And the GetCPIAVersion command doesn't work (I get babbles if the packet
>size is too small, or 0's if I increase the packet size to 8 bytes).
>
>Anyone know if this is really a Vision based camera? Anyone know what's
>up with it?

Doesn't look too bright, guess you'll have to bugger Xirlink a bit to find out.
You could open your camera to make sure there's Vision-stuff inside it,
but that still wouldn't help you with the twisted protocol.

You're a resourceful person, you'll find a way.

Vyrdsamt
-Jarl