PPP2 driver interface_pp.c overhaul

Bas Rijniersce bas@brijn.nu
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 15:01:51 +0200

Hi,

Peter Pregler wrote:

[ High load from client ]
> >>From what I understood this is because the camera isn't using interrupts
> > to tell there is a new image ready (???) and the current driver is just
> > polling al the time??

> That is true. There is a busy-wait in the kernel-code (the WHILE_OUT macro). I
> have a patch that utilizes the scheduler task-queu. Note that interrupt-driven
> code is not the solution here. The busy wait is while waiting for data on the
> parallel port and not while waiting for a picture. Unfortunatly my code has
> still some problem if interrupted (I am new to kernel-hacking ;). I will debug
> this and than send the patch to the list. This should happen until Tuesday this
> week.

That would be great. Maybe that would fix my problem, see below.

> Just for the numbers: on my PII-350 the load goes to about 5% for qcif-size
> and maybe 30% for cif-szie, about half in user-space doing the decoding, the
> rest in kernel-space reading data from the parport (done with the ./main client
> program).

Weird, I see something completely different:
My machine is a dual celeron 500 with 128 Mb mem, Linux 2.2.12, cpia-0.2
When I start the client with cif-size load goes up to something like
5-6! The system is almost unusable (opening a terminal in X takes
seconds). With qcif-size load goed up to 4-5 and the system is very slow
as well. Other programs work ok.. How can I tell how much time is spent
in user-space vs kernel-space??

> Greetings, Peter

Bas

----
Bas Rijniersce                       Phone +31 341 550545
Oude Telgterweg 81                   Fax +31 341 562940
3851 EA  Ermelo                      http://www.brijn.nu
The Netherlands                      bas@brijn.nu