PPP2 driver interface_pp.c overhaul

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:54:04 +0200 (CEST)

On 29-Aug-99 Bas Rijniersce wrote:

>> Just for the numbers: on my PII-350 the load goes to about 5% for qcif-size
>> and maybe 30% for cif-szie, about half in user-space doing the decoding, the
>> rest in kernel-space reading data from the parport (done with the ./main
>> client
>> program).
>
> Weird, I see something completely different:
> My machine is a dual celeron 500 with 128 Mb mem, Linux 2.2.12, cpia-0.2
> When I start the client with cif-size load goes up to something like
> 5-6! The system is almost unusable (opening a terminal in X takes
> seconds). With qcif-size load goed up to 4-5 and the system is very slow
> as well. Other programs work ok.. How can I tell how much time is spent
> in user-space vs kernel-space??

I make sure it is the only thing running and have a look at top cpu-states.
That is enough for an estimate. As for the load, I have never encountered the
symptoms you describe. With the old code, my load goes to one (on a otherwise
unused system) and stays there. Opening other applications is not much of a
problem. Maybe there is some smp-problem? That seems to be about the only
difference to my setup (I am still at 2.2.11 but will upgrade soon).

Greetings, Peter