the beginning...

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 13:15:54 +0100 (CET)

On 26-Nov-99 Tasnim Ahmed wrote:
> I got 4-5 fps in CIF mode with auto compression. then I tried to put my
> camera
> in DMA mode which I finally did but performance was not increased, however
> bands are introduced into the picture.
>
> The best I got on my RH 6.0 2.2 Celeron 333a 64 MB system is 10 fps in QCIF
> and
> thats when nothing is moving in front of the camera.

This is really _not_ normal and should have nothing to do with 2.2/2.3. Please
send me the related part of your syslog, the /proc/cpia, /proc/parport,
/proc/interrupts, /proc/dma and all other information regarding your
parport/webcam hardware and the test you did (program your run, load on the
machine etc.). You should really get about 30pfs in QCIF autocompression mode
depending on the camera settings (targetting, sensor frame rate, ...). At least
I do get it. :)

-Peter