Lots of fun with w3cam and friends

Adam Lynch lists@sprawl.net
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 15:26:30 -0500

  Hi all. Just found out about the CPiA driver yesterday, and I'm pretty
psyched. The old Creative webcam lives!

  Anyway, I snagged the current achive (0.4.3), and went through installing the
driver. Went fine, modules loaded fine with no errors or warnings.

  As did the gqcam client supplied with it.

  So I fired up gqcam, and had a jolly 'ole time.

  Now, my problem lies with other V4L packages. w3cam especially.

  w3cam seems to be able do what I want to be able to do; that is, provide a
simple online webcam of my office. So I go out and grab the current distribution
of w3cam (0.6.2).

  This compiles and installes fine. However, when w3cam's CGI goes to grab an
image, it tells me it can't open /dev/video. As does vidcat after grabbing 1
image.

  And following this, gqcam gets this error:

/dev/video: Input/output error

  The only way to get the whole setup to work again is to power off, then back
on. Doesn't lock up my machine, just the V4L interface is wacky.

  Any ideas? The system is a PPro 200, 64mb of RAM, kernel 2.2.5...

  Thanks!

--
---
AdamL.

alynch@sprawl.net
http://sprawl.net

     Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
    explained by stupidity.

                         -Robert Heinlein, 'Logic of Empire'

     Any view of the universe that is not strange is false.

                         -Neil Gaiman