Peters patch

sbertin@mindspring.com sbertin@mindspring.com
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 19:49:58 -0500 (EST)

On 27 Nov, Nick Holloway wrote:
> A minor nit is the way that the cpia core requests the cpia_usb and
> cpia_pp modules.  This isn't required.

You're right, it isn't required.  It is a convenience, as is all module
auto loading.

> If you have the modules in /lib/modules, and your dependencies are up
> to date, then "modprobe cpia_pp" will also load "videodev" and "cpia".

Yes, but if someone has both parallel and USB cameras, then they must
load 2 modules.  The current scheme allows loading just one module and
getting support for all cpia based cameras on the system.

> For the non-modular case, instead of cpia_init being added to videodev.c,
> and that being used to initialise the lowlevel driver, there should be
> calls to cpia_pp_init and cpia_usb_init as appropriate.

I disagree.  The way the driver is structured, cpia_pp and cpia_usb are
simply transports for use by cpia.  Only cpia needs to know about
videodev, and videodev only needs to know about cpia.  Videodev calling
cpia_pp_init and cpia_usb_init would not be appropriate.

Scott J. Bertin
sbertin@mindspring.com