Mystrie error number...

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:13:02 +0200 (CEST)

On 19-Oct-99 Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:

> It is based on the client example code in the driver. I have refrained
> from mentioning it, because it seems that using the driver directly (as
> opposed to using the v4l interface) was not recommended.

The problem is that the interface (syntax _AND_ semantics) is not stable. There
is no intention to take care of any backward compatibility (see the change
between 0.2.1 and 0.2.2). That is the sole reason for 'not recommended'. About
v4l: there are certain things one just cannot do with the v4l-interface (one
has to misuse unspecified flags to implement things like
aperture/gain/compression control) since it is tailored after the bttv-driver.
Therefore the API is very limited which was, IIRC, one of the main reasons to
specify v4l2. So unless someone writes the v4l2 API there is good reason to use
the native cpia-interface. But only if you need the full functionality to
control the camera.

> It can also set (and read) brigthness, contrast and saturation. (It is to
> be used as a "survaliance" application, but I am having problems with the
> EDP mode on the IBM machine that I have as target. On my test machine, it
> works perfect. )

Could you be a bit more elaborate on this. Do you suppose the problem is in the
ECP-driver or in your application? Setting brightness, contrast, compression
does work well on the fly in my v4l-code. For setting the image size you will
have to switch off streaming first. Otherwise it has no effect.

-Peter