[cpia] Re: CPIA / gqcam / sane / command-line utilities..

Peter Pregler Peter_Pregler@email.com
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 22:47:00 +0200

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 12:04:54PM -0500, James E Jurach Jr. wrote:
> This brings up the gui, and provides no help.  I'm working with the
> cpia-1.1.tgz released on 2000-Jul-13 available from sourceforge.  Do you
> know of any more recent releases, or perhaps a CVS repository I can play
> with?

The client shipped with the driver is a very ancient port of gqcam (see
the README_FIRST file). It is just there for your convenience to have
_any_ application to test the camera. Get the latest version of gqcam.
You should be able to find it via freshmeat. I don't have the url at
hand.

> This is actually a point of confusion for me.  There is a v4l and a v4l2,
> and very little documentation that relates the 2 projects together (or
> perhaps of the 20 or so i've followed, I didn't follow the right
> one).

What is now in about any kernel you get is v4l. AFAIK for kernel 2.5
Alan will somehow merge in v4l2 API. If you want to use any
v4l2-application right now you have to get an extra kernel-patch
directly from the v4l2-guys. But about any software I do know of does
use the normal v4l.

> Do you have any plans of merging the gqcam-cpia work back into the gqcam
> project, or if there will eventually be a merge of the two projects
> (perhaps based on SANE backends?).

That is already done. Get the current gqcam from their official site
(whereever that is ;). As for SANE, if it supports v4l it should work.
Otherwise write a driver.

> I do not have enough tuits even to know
> whether to chase geese down the v4l path or the v4l2 path ..

Simply forget about v4l2 right now.

-Peter

--
Even the thought that a ship was waiting to take him back to Earth
did not wipe out the sense of loss he felt at that moment.