[cpia] Re: CPIA / gqcam / sane / command-line utilities..

Cory Lueninghoener cluenin1@bigred.unl.edu
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 16:40:05 -0500 (CDT)

Ah, yes, I had forgotten about the extra gqcam stuff that is packaged with
the cpia driver.  A much newer version of gqcam is availiable at:
http://cse.unl.edu/~cluening/gqcam
It should have a whole lot of extra features and should, in general, be
better.

Peter, you might want to mention the gqcam web page and the fact that a
newer version exists in the cpia documentation if it isn't there
already...

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Peter Pregler wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 12:04:54PM -0500, James E Jurach Jr. wrote:
> > This brings up the gui, and provides no help.  I'm working with the
> > cpia-1.1.tgz released on 2000-Jul-13 available from sourceforge.  Do you
> > know of any more recent releases, or perhaps a CVS repository I can play
> > with?
>
> The client shipped with the driver is a very ancient port of gqcam (see
> the README_FIRST file). It is just there for your convenience to have
> _any_ application to test the camera. Get the latest version of gqcam.
> You should be able to find it via freshmeat. I don't have the url at
> hand.
>
> > This is actually a point of confusion for me.  There is a v4l and a v4l2,
> > and very little documentation that relates the 2 projects together (or
> > perhaps of the 20 or so i've followed, I didn't follow the right
> > one).
>
> What is now in about any kernel you get is v4l. AFAIK for kernel 2.5
> Alan will somehow merge in v4l2 API. If you want to use any
> v4l2-application right now you have to get an extra kernel-patch
> directly from the v4l2-guys. But about any software I do know of does
> use the normal v4l.
>
> > Do you have any plans of merging the gqcam-cpia work back into the gqcam
> > project, or if there will eventually be a merge of the two projects
> > (perhaps based on SANE backends?).
>
> That is already done. Get the current gqcam from their official site
> (whereever that is ;). As for SANE, if it supports v4l it should work.
> Otherwise write a driver.
>
> > I do not have enough tuits even to know
> > whether to chase geese down the v4l path or the v4l2 path ..
>
> Simply forget about v4l2 right now.
>
> -Peter
>
> --
> Even the thought that a ship was waiting to take him back to Earth
> did not wipe out the sense of loss he felt at that moment.
> Email: Peter_Pregler@email.com

Cory Lueninghoener
cluenin1@bigred.unl.edu        http://harold.unl.edu/~cluening
cluening@harold.unl.edu        http://www.thepests.com
AIM: cluening                  ICQ: 9350554