[cpia] How to automate the module loading?

sbertin@mindspring.com sbertin@mindspring.com
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 23:35:38 -0400 (EDT)

On 12 Jul, Sang Y. Yum wrote:
> I automated the module loading as much as possible. All the necessary
> modules get loaded by simply typing "modprobe cpia_pp". My
> /etc/conf.modules looks like this:
>
> pre-install parport_pc modprobe parport
> pre-install videodev   modprobe parport_pc
> pre-install cpia       modprobe videodev
> pre-install cpia_pp    modprobe cpia
> post-install cpia_pp   echo "compression_mode:none" >> /proc/cpia/video0
>
> I want to automate this even further so that cpia_pp and all other
> modules
> would be loaded when, say, I execute gqcam. Is that possible? If so, how
> do I do it?

That looks like the hard way to do it.  cpia will automatically load
cpia_pp (and cpia_usb if it was compiled).  Because cpia needs videodev,
modprobe will automatically load videodev first.  Because cpia_pp needs
parport, modprobe will automatically load parport.  If you set an alias
for parport_lowlevel to parport_pc, parport will automatically load
parport_pc.  I haven't tried it, but if your camera is you only v4l
device, you can probably alias char-major-81 to cpia and have everything
happen automatically.  To summarize:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias char-major-81 cpia
post-install cpia_pp   echo "compression_mode:none" >> /proc/cpia/video0

and everything should work like magic.

Scott J. Bertin
sbertin@mindspring.com